Students appearing for final-year exams in colleges and higher education institutes left pending since March because of the coronavirus lockdown, must not think the exams will be postponed again because of the ongoing Supreme Court hearing, the UGC said on Friday.
“Students should continue to prepare for the examinations. Students should not be under the impression that examinations will be stayed because of the Supreme Court hearing,” the UGC (University Grants Commission) stated, which is charged with coordination, determination and maintenance of standards of higher education, said in court.
Declining to pass any final order on a clutch of petitions challenging the UGC’s decision to hold final-year exams in September, the top court has adjourned its hearing till August 10.
Appearing for one of the petitioners, Abhishek Manu Singhvi argued that the UGC’s guidelines to hold the exams, which include the option to hold them online, were arbitrary. Mr. Singhvi pointed out that some of the universities lacked basic IT infrastructure and it was therefore not feasible to uniformly conduct online examinations.
“Optional exams are problematic. If someone cannot appear and is given a later option it will create chaos,” he said, to which the court said, “But it is for the benefit of students”.
Mr. Singhvi argued “heavens will not fall if exams are canceled” and referred to sections of the Disaster Management Act that allows state governments to take decisions in this regard.
The court then asked the Maharashtra government, which has canceled final-year exams for state-run colleges, to place on record the decision taken by the state’s disaster management committee.
Among the petitions heard today was one by Maharashtra cabinet minister Aaditya Thackeray via the youth wing of the Shiv Sena. The petition claimed the UGC was “ignoring the physical and mental health… and safety of students” by insisting the exams be held.
The court also asked the Home Ministry to make its stand clear; earlier this month the ministry said final-year exams could take place. The center said it would reply by Monday (August 3) but stressed that all students should continue to prepare for their exams.
“By Monday we will (but) nobody should be under the impression that they cannot prepare. Students should prepare for the exam,” Solicitor General Tushar Mehta said.
Another of the petitioners also argued that the floods in Bihar made conducting exams difficult and an interim order should be passed, which the court refused to do.
The UGC, which has been criticized for holding final-year exams despite a worrying surge in coronavirus cases across the country, said yesterday that its decision “was not arbitrary… (and) call by some states for cancellation will impact standards”.
A special chance will be given to those unable to appear for the exams, the UGC added.
A three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, consisting of Justices Ashok Bhushan, R Subhash Reddy, and MR Shah, heard the case today via video conference.